Winnie the Pooh at Adventure Theatre-MTC
Winnie the Pooh is a classic character that has been embraced by generations of children for good reason. Pooh and his friends are lovable and relatable to young children. Adventure Theatre-MTC brings Pooh to life with warmth, authenticity, and humor. When entering the the theatre, your may have to restrain your child from running on the stage. Adventure Theatre has created a world any child would love to enter, complete with a swing, sandbox full of colorful toys, a hollowed-out log used as a tunnel, and a dream tree-house.
In Adventure Theatre-MTC’s version, Pooh joins his friends Piglet, Roo, Owl, Rabbit Kanga, Eeoyre and Christoper Robin on several adventures in 100 Acre Forest. You may want to tell your child ahead of time that Tigger is not in the play since the stories presented during the play are based on early Pooh stories before Tigger was introduced. Throughout the play, Piglet tries to avoid being washed, a scheme is hatched to fool Roo, Eeoyre is depressed because not only has he lost his tail but no one has remembered his birthday, and everyone is concerned about a Heffalump. Of course by the end, everyone is happy – including Eeoyre.
The play is a fun, fast-paced musical that had several kids (and even one adult) leaving the theatre singing songs from the play. My son declared that his favorite part was “All of it!” and was only disappointed that he was not allowed to play in the sandbox used by Pooh and his friends during the play. Seeing Winnie the Pooh come to life is a special experience for anyone who loves reading about Pooh in books or seeing him in movies.
- Winnie the Pooh runs through May 26th.
- Winnie the Pooh runs approximately one hour, making it manageable for young children.
- Tickets are $20.00 for all ages.
- Tickets can be purchased here by calling 301-634-2270.
- There is plenty of free parking at Glen Echo, but be sure to allow five to ten minutes to walk from the parking lot to the theatre, which is located at the far end of the park.
- The path from the parking lot to the theater is completely flat and stroller-friendly. There is designated stroller parking outside of the theater.
- The theatre has general admission seating, but with only seven rows arranged in a semi-circle around the stage there are no bad seats in the house.
- Winnie the Pooh is recommended for all ages.
- A sensory-friendly performance will take place on April 13th at 4:30.
- The Carousel at Glen Echo Park opens on April 27th. On April 28th you can ride the carousel for free courtesy of Adventure Theatre at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- Adventure Theatre is located in Glen Echo Park. On a nice day be sure to take advantage of Glen Echo’s playground. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, grab a snack, coffee or lunch at the on-site location of Praline in the park.