post-title Tinker Bell
Live theatre is a magical experience for anyone and Adventure Theater MTC continues to produce family-friendly shows that children and adults alike enjoy.
For those of us who always wonder about the stories behind the supporting characters, Tinker Bell will surprise and delight. While all of the beloved characters from Peter Pan appear in this play, from Captain Hook to The Lost Boys to Wendy, the little fairy herself takes center stage in this re-telling of the boy who never wants to grow up. Tinker Bell answers some important questions, like how she and Peter Pan became friends and how Neverland got its name.
Many important elements of Peter Pan are present in the story as well, such as Peter Pan losing his shadow, the battle with Captain Hook, and the search for a mother for the lost boys. But, we get a different view of these events told from Tinker Bell’s point of view and she thinks it’s a little silly that Peter Pan even cares about his shadow and does not understand why he wants to find a mother so badly since fairies are born of magic.
My children, ages 7 and 3, were enchanted by the tale of Tinker Bell, which includes plenty of twinkling fairy lights, sword fights, and adventure. Central to the story is the deep friendship between Tinker Bell and Peter Pan who don’t always see eye-to-eye on everything but who always manage to find a way to support each other and remain friends no matter what.
Tinker Bell really is a play the entire family can enjoy. Whether children like the magic and beauty of fairies or the excitement of swash-buckling pirates, Tinker Bell has something for everyone. Children and adults alike will enjoy this fresh, new take on a classic story they thought they knew well.
Good to know:
- Tinker Bell runs from June 2nd – August 20th.
- Tinker Bell runs approximately one hour, making it manageable for families that include young children.
- Tickets are $19.50 for everyone one and up.
- Tickets can be purchased here or by calling 301-634-2270.
- There is plenty of free parking at Glen Echo, but be sure to allot five to ten minutes to walk from the parking lot to the theatre, which is located at the far end of the park.
- The path from the parking lot to the theater is completely flat and stroller-friendly. There is a designated stroller parking.
- The theatre has general admission seating, but with only seven rows arranged in a semi-circle around the stage there are no bad seats in the house.
- Tinker Bell is recommended for ages 5+, but my three year old and many other younger children enjoyed the show as well.
- Adventure Theatre is located in Glen Echo Park. On a nice day be sure to take advantage of Glen Echo’s playground and historic carousel before or after the show. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, grab a snack, coffee or lunch at the on-site location of Praline.
Image courtesy of AdventureTheater-MTC.org website