Fancy Nancy’s Splendiferous Christmas at Adventure Theatre MTC
I first heard about Fancy Nancy when my daughter, now eight, started reading the book series. While I initially groaned thinking it was about yet another girl who valued pretty clothes above all else, my dismay soon turned to joy when I realized that Nancy is fancy because she loves learning and using big, fancy words like splendiferous! She also loves boas. I realized Fancy Nancy is a role model I can get behind.
I was delighted to learn that Fancy Nancy would be coming to the stage at Adventure Theatre MTC and Nancy, along with her family, did not disappoint.
The play is a series of stories that relate to one another, each with a lesson and plenty of fancy words. They can be in English or French, and Nancy takes the time to define them for the audience. To start, Nancy and her little sister JoJo have to reach an agreement about the size of their family Christmas tree. Nancy comes to grips with not being able to afford the perfect tree topper with the exorbitant price of $5. To pay for the tree topper, Nancy sells some of her fanciest clothing, including a rhinestone necklace adored by JoJo. The girls need to navigate their way through disagreements about decorating the tree, and then Nancy must also deal with the realization that she sold the necklace her sister desperately wants. She no longer has the money to buy it back, since she used to buy the tree topper —which has since broken in two—. Luckily, their grandfather arrives to save the day.
Fancy Nancy’s Splendiferous Christmas is a story full of lessons for children and adults alike, including the importance of compromise and spending time with family, over material goods and getting the perfect gift. Fancy Nancy has hilarious moments as well as touching ones. My eight year old said she found the show “inspiring” and that it was good reminder not to focus on her list for Santa too much. My three year old also loved seeing Nancy come to life, even though he has never read any of Fancy Nancy books.
Fancy Nancy’s Splendiferous Christmas is a great way to kick off the holidays and create “splendiferous” memories with your family this season.
- Fancy Nancy runs from November 16th to January 9th.
- The show runs about one hour long, making it manageable for families that include young children.
- Tickets are $20 for everyone one and up.
- Tickets can be purchased here by calling 301-634-2270.
- There is plenty of free parking at Glen Echo, but be sure to allot five to ten minutes to walk from the parking lot to the theatre, which is located at the far end of the park. The path from the parking lot to the theater is completely flat and stroller-friendly. There is a designated stroller parking at the theatre.
- The theatre has general admission seating, but with only seven rows arranged in a semi-circle around the stage there are no bad seats in the house.
- Fancy Nancy is recommended for all ages.