Escape from Peligro Island at Imagination Stage
Escape from Peligro Island at Imagination Stage is no an ordinary play. In this choose-your-own adventure play things play out differently nearly each time it’s performed. Normally a review of a play involves a description of the story, but in this case it’s impossible because the version you see may be completely different from the one I saw. All plays center around a child named Callaway Brown whose Mom lives on one continent and his Dad on another. After that it’s hard to say what will happen next. The play I saw was an underwater spy adventure, but Callaway could also end up battling vampires, in the wild west, or becoming a superhero in space. There may be a talking horse or time travel.
There are 70 different ways this play could go. I was in awe knowing that the actors had mastered so many storylines and were able to perform the selected ones seamlessly with only five seconds notice.
How does this work? Upon entering the theatre each viewer is given a paddle with red on one side and blue on the other. Every time the audience is faced with a choice a cast member presents a choice and audience members flip their paddles to red or blue then wait with baited breath to see how the vote went. Some kids cheered out loud if their choice won.
My kids (ages 4 and 8) loved the play. It has a retro-feel with plenty of real excitement built in. The audience members really do control Callaway’s fate and the audience winds up feeling vested in the story and Callaway’s fate. I don’t think anyone in the audience was ready for the play to end!
There may never be a show quite like this one again so don’t miss your chance to choose-your-own adventure and watch it unfold live before your eyes.
Good to know:
- Best for ages 5+
- Runs April 27, 2019 to May 26, 2019
- Tickets can be purchased here and are $15 – $35 dollars
- Parking is available at meters on the street or at the parking garage on the same block. Garage parking is free on weekends.
- Imagination Stage has a soundproof booth with a view of the stage and sound for children who may become antsy
- There is an intermission during which treats from Henry’s Sweet Retreat can be purchased in the lobby.
- After the show extend your day by eating at one of the many kid-friendly restaurants within walking distance.