Beep Beep! is about one thing every child can relate to: a love of ice cream. This very fun, short performance for young audiences follows a day in the life of two happy ice cream truck drivers. The play contains no words, except for the oft-repeated refrain of Beep, Beep! The story is told mostly through physical gestures that at times are hilarious to the toddler set, especially when a milkshake and bubble machine seem to appear out of nowhere to everyone’s delight. As an unexpected bonus, there is a third character whose primary role is play live music to accompany the two main actors.
Kids sit on the floor to enjoy this performance and aren’t expected to sit perfectly still. Although in the performance I attended all of the kids in attendance were completely engrossed by the show throughout, if your child needs a break at any point they would be able to figure what is happening in the story at any point.
Beep Beep is a great introduction to live performance for the very young and adults will laugh right along with their kids.
Good to know:
- Beep Beep is recommended for ages 2-5.
- Playing at The Lab at Convergence, 1819 N. Quaker Lane, Alexandria, VA from March 7-23, 2019
- Playing at Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H St. NE, Washington, DC from March 27-31, 2019
- Tickets are $10 for the VA performance and can be purchased here. Tickets are $12 for the DC performance and can be purchased here.
- For the VA performances there is small parking lot and on-street parking. For the DC performances there is metered on-street parking and the closest metro is Union Station.
- Chairs are available for those who prefer them in addition to floor space for kids and their caregivers.
- There is a small playground attached to The Lab at Convergences where kids can play before or after the performance.